Choosing the Right Sports Mouth Guard
Everett Dentist Specializing in Custom Made Athletic Mouth Guards
Sports guards, mouth guards and mouth protectors are different names for the same thing: a device constructed out of resilient plastic that is worn over your teeth to protect them from blows to the face and head which could result in injury.
For anyone participating in sports, mouth guards are an important piece of equipment that often gets overlooked in many sports programs. More than 5 million teeth are avulsed each year as a result of sports injuries and trauma. In many cases these avulsions are a result of not wearing a mouthguard or wearing improperly fabricated and fitted mouthguards. The importance of wearing an athletic mouthguard in any sport can not be over emphasized.
What Do Mouth Guards Do and Protect?
Mouthguards typically cover the upper teeth and protect against
- Broken teeth
- Cut lips
- Hard and soft tissue damage
- Root fractures
- Teeth avulsion
Approximately one third of all dental injuries are sports related.
What are the Different Types of Mouthguards?
There are 3 types of mouth guards used for sports:
- Custom-made mouth guards
- Boil and bite mouth guards
- Stock mouth guards
No matter which type of mouth guard you choose it needs to be resilient, tear-resistant and comfortable. At All Smiles Dentistry Northwest we specialize in custom-made athletic mouthguards.
What are the Benefits of Each of the Types of Mouthguards?
- Custom-made mouth guards are individually designed by your dentist and the best mouth guard for providing the most comfortable fit and best protection. Most athletes prefer customized mouth guards.
- Boil and bite mouth guards are preformed shapes that are altered by boiling the mouth guard in water then biting into the warm plastic to create a customized fit. These types of mouth guards can be bought at sporting good stores and offer a better fit than mouth protectors. These types of mouth guards can result in a poor fit if directions are not followed precisely.
- Stock mouth guards (or mouth protectors) are inexpensive mouthguards that come pre-formed and ready-to-wear. Since they are pre-formed they typically don’t fit very well. They can also bulky and they make breathing and talking difficult.
How to Select the Right Mouth Guard
The right mouthguard for sports should:
- Buffer damage to teeth, the brackets and/or other fixed appliances from blows and physical contact
- Limit the risk of soft tissue damage
- Allow speaking
- Not limit breathing
- Provide a high degree of comfort and fit
- Is durable and easy to clean
- Is resilient, tear-resistant, odorless and tasteless
An athlete is 60 times more likely to sustain damage to the teeth when not wearing a protective mouthguard and mouth and faceguards prevent an estimated 200,000 high school and college football injuries (according to the National Youth Sports Foundation for Safety).
Why Choose a Custom Made Sports Mouth Guard
Whether it’s a punch, kick, puck, elbow, or ball moving at warp speed, custom made sports mouth guards offer optimal protection and comfort. Stock mouth guards and boil and bite mouth guards both offer a degree of protection but spending a little more for a custom-made mouth guard from your dentist could potentially save you hundreds or thousands in dental treatments as a result of injury.
Boil and bite mouth guards at least can be altered to provide somewhat of a custom fit but they are designed to fit everyone which means they fit no one well. These types of mouth guards typically become flimsy and not retain their shape after only a few uses as you trying to mold a piece of plastic that is not designed to be molded.
Our custom-made athletic mouth guards give you better protection with a perfectly fitting mouth guard that will last the season. A custom fit mouthguard will not fall out in the middle of the play and allows for easy communication during a big game.
The total cost to replace an avulsed tooth (complete displacement of a tooth out of its socket) can be 20 times more expensive than the cost of a custom made mouthguard.
Call today to schedule your appointment to get your custom-made athletic mouth guard at our Everett dental practice.
What Sets Us Apart
- Treating Patients 2 And Older
- Convenient Hours
- Same-Day Appointments
- Family Appointments
- Same-Day Dental Crowns
- Full Service Dentistry For The Entire Family
- Stress-Free Sedation Dental
- Zoom! Teeth Whitening
- Free Invisalign & Teeth Whitening Consultations
- Most Insurance Accepted
- Affordable Discount Dental Plans Available
- Conveniently Located Off I-5 in Everett