A sinus augmentation, also known as a sinus lift, is a procedure that your periodontist may recommend if you do not have enough bone in your upper jaw area to safely support dental implants. The procedure involves using bone grafts to increase the quantity of bone in your jaw. If you’re in need of a periodontist in Everett, WA, Dr. Oh can provide you with capable periodontal care at All Smiles Northwest.
Reasons for Sinus Augmentation
In order to replace a missing tooth with a brand-new dental implant, you need a jawbone with sufficient mass and density. Before placing implants, your dentist will evaluate the condition of your jawbone. The most common reasons why your jawbone may not be considered stable enough for implants include:
- Bone loss as a result of unreplaced lost teeth.
- Bone loss as a complication of periodontal disease.
- Sinus cavities that are too close to the jaw.
What Happens During Sinus Augmentation Surgery
Sinus augmentation surgery can be approached in a number of different ways. In the most common method, your periodontist will make an incision in the gums at the back of your mouth, then lift the sinus membrane underneath to create a space where bone graft material can be inserted. Then, the gum incision is closed so that the tissue can heal. After a period of several months, the jawbone will be stable enough to permit the placement of implants.
Proper Aftercare for Sinus Augmentation Surgery
Complications for sinus augmentation procedures are rare, but you will still need to follow all of your periodontist’s instructions for aftercare following the surgery. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind:
- Avoid brushing your teeth in the operated area for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- Do not blow your nose or use a straw for at least a week after surgery.
- Avoid exercise and other strenuous physical activities for 1-2 days after the procedure.
- Use an ice bag at 15-minute intervals to bring down the swelling.
All Smiles Northwest has been proudly serving the community of Everett, WA-along with nearby cities such as Lake Stevens and Marysville-for more than 15 years. We use modern dental techniques to help all of our patients achieve great oral health and amazing smiles. Our office accepts most forms of insurance, and discount dental plans are available to help you and your family get the care you need. For an appointment, call
(425) 252-9333 today.
We do not accept Apple Health, DSHS, Molina or Provider One
What Sets Us Apart
- Treating Patients 2 And Older
- Convenient Hours
- Same-Day Appointments
- Family Appointments
- Same-Day Dental Crowns
- Full Service Dentistry For The Entire Family
- Stress-Free Sedation Dental
- Zoom! Teeth Whitening
- Free Invisalign & Teeth Whitening Consultations
- Most Insurance Accepted
- Affordable Discount Dental Plans Available
- Conveniently Located Off I-5 in Everett